Sign in to follow this  
James

My F1 2017 Story

Team Choice.  

11 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What team shall I race in F1 2017?

• Ferrari
    • Mercedes
    • Red Bull
    • Force India
    • Williams
    • Toro Rosso
    • Haas F1
    • Renault
    • McLaren
    • Sauber

Hey Guys,

Its that time of year again where we have to decide what team we are going to race for, do we go for the challenge or do we go for the championship in year one.

Every year I go for the McLaren as the team I have supported for over 20 years, but I thought this year I would let you guys choose. Help me choose by completing the poll.

It starts here, exciting :)

James

Race One: Melbourne 

Practise: P20
I was really worried about the difficult setting I had picked as I was miles of the back, also meaning I was no where near to completing the Fuel Saving and Tyre Ware programmes.

Qualifying: P20
It didn't get much better in quali, I was out in Q1, at least I get o save tyre and engine.

Race: P5
I know right!! P5!! All I can say is that I'm very lucky, Most drivers were going for a 2 stop, but I was going for a 1 stop. I was chasing the back of the pack in P20 for must of the race, but then on lap 14 Magnussen crashed out bringing the safety car out, after 3 laps the safety car returned to pits and the next lap all the 2 stoppers pitted, very strange beaucse in real life they would have pitted under safety car.

Drivers Championship: 5
Contructors Championship: 5

Race Two: China 

Practise: P16
A better practise this time around, getting purple on all programs apart from fuel saving.

Qualifying: P20
Still out in Q1 but managed to get 16th on the Grid.

Race: P6
Exact same as Australia, going for a 1 stop and safety car comes out and 2 stoppers pit after after car period has finished. Was running 3rd but on last lap Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas overtook me at the same time.

Drivers Championship: 4
Contructors Championship: 5

Hey James, I'm running a McLaren season as well, and I'm wondering how your parts are going. I've just finished P1 in Bahrain and I've got 3 components at 50% durability. Wondering if this is a McLaren-Honda problem or if this is a me problem.

Also what setups are you using? Are you taking your Mercedes setups and slightly tweaking them, mainly lowering wings a little I'd assume

Hey, the Honda is a joke lol. I’m in Russia with a whole new engine and now my gear box is going and I’m missing gear 4. 

Im trying to upgrade engine in R&D but also upgrading wear rate.

Hi both, I’m also running the McLaren in career. I have managed to drag it out of Q1 for the first time in Canada. However I’m also struggling with wear and tear. 

I’m on my third component on all power unit items and third gearbox. What I have tried to do is use the more worn components in practice, and switch in newer ones for quali and the race. I guess we’ll see how that strategy pays off!

On 8/26/2017 at 3:05 AM, James said:

Hey, the Honda is a joke lol. I’m in Russia with a whole new engine and now my gear box is going and I’m missing gear 4. 

Im trying to upgrade engine in R&D but also upgrading wear rate.

I'm also with McLaren. I've had my gearbox lose a gear during the second race weekend. My engine is garbage, I used it as long as possible, it was even smoking by the end of the Bahrain GP. James, I'm curious what difficulty you're running? I've had qualifying results around P18-P17, but my race results have not been as strong as yours, mind you, you've had an excellent strategy. Best I've finished was 10th in Russia, but only because it was an intermediate tyre race, otherwise I'm usually towards the back in P16 or lower so far.  Better results are starting to come my way as I'm getting used to the new handling and higher speeds.