MattyM

Quick Tips

So I just want to share a few quick tips that I've picked up after a week of fairly solid play of this new instalment. I've seen a lot of people asking questions in the setup threads so I want to address a few things here.

If you played 2016, forget everything you know from that. 2017 is a completely different game and it is a lot less about trying to find the perfect setup and balance, and so much more about finding the perfect race line. I've spent the last couple of days mainly doing time trials for the first few racetracks and I've been using almost the exact same setup for Australia, Shanghai, Bahrain, Russia and Spain. Now these are 5 completely different tracks but my Transmission, Suspension Geometry, Suspension, Tyre Pressures and Ballast are pretty much unchanged for all of them because it gives me so much grip and traction. Maybe a slight tweak here and there, but the only real change is in the wings and brakes to make sure you get enough speed on the straights and can pull up in time without locking up. These new cars have so much grip that you really need to learn the track (not relying on the 3D racing line) if you want to see a drastic improvement in your times.

It's also ok to take setups that were used for time trials and use them in a race. Learning the difference between a flying lap and a racing lap is very important as well. In Qualifying you can be so much more aggressive; attack corners and kerbs, brake slightly later and even get away with some minor corner cutting in career mode. When it comes to the actual race though, it's important to really back down and not be too aggressive on the tyres, or you WILL have issues. Remember, your Qualifying time is always going to be miles better than your average race lap times.

And lastly for now (until I think of some more things) is to keep the car as straight as possible, as often as possible. It's often tempting to take what appears to be the shortest exit out of a long sweeping corner, but in a lot of cases you actually end up losing time compared to taking the wider exit line which builds up a lot more speed if you're about to head into a straight. But again, its about learning the tracks, knowing your breaking zones, turn in zones, which corners you can and can't cut. A good setup will help, but a good track knowledge is even better

Is that so?

Not that I'm not buying it but I've noticed that finding the suitable car setups is the key to improve lap times. I barely adjust my setups in the 2016 game and managed still to get a really good lap times compared to my team mate. Now I've spend many hours and laps trying to beat my team mate but it's impossible. Tried many kind of setups and learned to take correct racing lines and breaking points.

After having spent a fair amount more time playing and watching videos of people doing timetrials I have to stand by my original point. Track knowledge is absolutely vital, and is far more valuable than a good setup. I see people on here posting setups for Haas or Sauber and their lap times are 1 or 2 seconds faster than some people who are posting Mercedes or Ferrari setups. The only explanation is that those people have a much better knowledge of the track, setups aren't worth 5 seconds a lap

1 hour ago, MattyM said:

After having spent a fair amount more time playing and watching videos of people doing timetrials I have to stand by my original point. Track knowledge is absolutely vital, and is far more valuable than a good setup. I see people on here posting setups for Haas or Sauber and their lap times are 1 or 2 seconds faster than some people who are posting Mercedes or Ferrari setups. The only explanation is that those people have a much better knowledge of the track, setups aren't worth 5 seconds a lap

Keep in mind that skill is more important as knowing the track

Very true, but I find that skill and knowing the track are almost the same thing in this game. Depends how you define 'skill' when it comes to racing games, if you think of it as knowing how much Throttle you can give around corners, or knowing exactly when to brake and downshift, that all sort of comes under track knowledge in my opinion. 

What needs to be remembered as well though is that everyone will drive differently. I've used setups that people have set the top lap times with and I haven't been able to use some of them as well as the default setup. The reason I use almost the exact same suspension and geometry is because I know how the car will react and handle when it's set up like that. Means I can learn the track much quicker and set faster times more easily. If I need more straight long speed I drop the wings to 4 or 5. If I need more traction I leave them at 6 or 7 (except Monaco). If I need more straight speed but am oversteering too much on corners then I'll move the ballast forward a click or two. If the rear is slipping out you can move the ballast back or drop the rear tyre pressure. But the key first and foremost is being comfortable in the car

anyone got some tips for how to nail a race start? I always seem sluggish off the line. The onscreen advice is to find optimal revs but what is that?

Im using pedals and steering wheel and my mate that i race online with constantly gets off to a flyer.

How about short shifting to not rev out the engine? I've been doing that to reserve the engine, but does it make me a lot slower? Does not feel like it does, but would love to hear some opinions

On 16-9-2017 at 10:42 PM, Vegemietian said:

anyone got some tips for how to nail a race start? I always seem sluggish off the line. The onscreen advice is to find optimal revs but what is that?

Im using pedals and steering wheel and my mate that i race online with constantly gets off to a flyer.

Furthermore, set your car to rich fuel mix, move diff setting (for start only!) up as high as you're comfortable with (90+).

3 hours ago, RvD90 said:

How about short shifting to not rev out the engine? I've been doing that to reserve the engine, but does it make me a lot slower? Does not feel like it does, but would love to hear some opinions

It depends on how short you're shifting. Generally it won't have a massive effect, but I still suggest that during qualy or certain race situations you let it rev as high as you can.

On 9/17/2017 at 2:12 AM, Vegemietian said:

I have been nailing them fairly easily on the keyboard, maybe you can switch after the race starts. 

5 hours ago, Zackito said:

I get a good start using half throttle, then when rolling I give full throttle.  Revving the engine to the max, untill the car is stable and rev up to 2nd gear. 

Might not be the best way. 

If you shift to 2nd quicker the car will be stable sooner.

15 hours ago, Andy2102 said:

If you shift to 2nd quicker the car will be stable sooner.

Yes and no, I lose alot of speed doing that.  

Also when you do it at the wrong time you will spin off the track. I play without assists.

On 27-9-2017 at 8:19 AM, Zackito said:

Yes and no, I lose alot of speed doing that.  

Also when you do it at the wrong time you will spin off the track. I play without assists.

I keep half throttle until 2nd gear before full throttle.

Works fine for me!

On 9/16/2017 at 4:42 PM, Vegemietian said:

I think viewing starts as just like coming out of an extremely slow corner (e.g. Grand Hotel Hairpin in Monaco) quite useful.  You're looking for all of the same qualities.  You want to give the engine as much power as possible before the force of your acceleration exceeds the tyre's adhesive limit and you begin to get wheel spin.  You also want to keep the car straight for as long as possible (although I know all those available passing opportunities are tempting at the start :P) so as to keep yourself in the maximum acceleration traction position of the traction circle (which is 100% up the y-axis) for as long as possible and you want to try and hit your up shifts at the correct revs.

People have varying views about which revs to up shift at during starts, but other than first gear, where I think around 10-12k revs is usually as much as you can put down at first while avoiding wheel spin (which seems to me to be just at the point where the rev lights begin to light up), I think shifting as you usually do coming out of a slow corner in second gear is good.  There is a lot to manage during a start and I think trying to hit your shifts slightly differently is something that might take up a lot of your concentration.

Lastly, (and this is just my preference) in regards to maneuvering during the start, if you've got off OK and arer on the inside line, great, stay there.  Otherwise make an effort to slide to the inside line at some point before the first corner as I find I can usually pick up a few places braking very late on the inside line and then channeling a little Lewis and just slowly work across to the racing line on the outside exiting the corner, anyone not right beside me be damned!  Lewis absolutely bossed Nico around several times during starts by getting way inside and then pushing out and rejoining the racing line on the very outside of the track on exit.  A little too far in my opinion being teammates and in such superior machinery, but he put in many masterclass examples of getting to the inside and bullying a competing car around.

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any more questions, want a little more scientific, technical minded explanations of some of the forces at work here, or to call me a buffoon!

Eddy_Irish