RaggedyLuke

Turning Traction Control Off

I have recently got a racing wheel (thrustmaster TMX force feedback and T3PA pedal set) and have been progressing well with it by slowly taking off all assists one by one until I reached my desired level of skill. However today I reached the point to turn the last one off which is traction control. All day I have tried and all day I have failed helplessly spinning off into the barriers. I have attempted different tracks on time trial for several hours. Can someone please give me some tips to help me master this skill.

I think you are going to fast on your throttle, when you exit a corner wait for your car to stabilize and then full throttle. Build your throttle up as you exit a corner.

Using the wrong car setup causes you to spin off aswell, are you able to drive with the default setup? 

When I turned off the traction control I didn't need alot time to get used to it, it isnt that hard in my experience. 

I have been practicing over the passed few days and am able to control the car but am putting lap times that are about 1.5 secs off the pace. I have tried what you have suggested about the default setup and I seem to be able to drive with it after some practice. So do you have any tips of how early you can get on the accelerator and if you should short shift out of corners to get a good launch. 

On 11-11-2017 at 11:46 AM, RaggedyLuke said:

I have been practicing over the passed few days and am able to control the car but am putting lap times that are about 1.5 secs off the pace. I have tried what you have suggested about the default setup and I seem to be able to drive with it after some practice. So do you have any tips of how early you can get on the accelerator and if you should short shift out of corners to get a good launch. 

It depends on the corner really, need to get a feel and experience for that. Just try out, dont be too aggresive but search the limit. I am still searching the ultimate limits but I get faster every week I play. 

Also if you are able to drive your rounds with the default setups just try a few out from the car setup topics. Mostly I use the setups of James, they do the trick. Setup can gain you alot of time during a lap, you will feel that the car is more stable and that you can push the limits. 

On 31/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, RaggedyLuke said:

I have recently got a racing wheel (thrustmaster TMX force feedback and T3PA pedal set) and have been progressing well with it by slowly taking off all assists one by one until I reached my desired level of skill. However today I reached the point to turn the last one off which is traction control. All day I have tried and all day I have failed helplessly spinning off into the barriers. I have attempted different tracks on time trial for several hours. Can someone please give me some tips to help me master this skill.

Be patient and keep training. I needed about 5 days to get a good time without traction.. My first day was a disaster.. You may adjust the active diferencial to 50 for example. Will be more easy to take the control.. Remember: you can use full throttle, just after align the car.. Good luck! 

I'm no expert by any means but I've been practizing without TC lately and found a couple of things that helped me. 

Not sure if you've heard of the Traction Circle but I find it a useful concept to be aware of. In summary, a car's grip is limited such that it can be 100% braking (bottom of the circle), 100% accelerating (top), 100% turning (left or right) or some blended combination of the turning and braking/accelerating (edge of the circle). When the car is exiting the corner the grip available for accelerating is limited by the need to use some of that grip for cornering. Once you start turning the wheel back to the centre a little less grip is being used for cornering so a little more is available for accelerating. So for me I found the key is coordinating throttle input with the reduction in steering input. The reverse is true on corner entry, braking input has to be reduced (but only partially) before turn-in to prevent lock-up (aka trail braking).  

In the game I find it fun to practice against weaker AI and just try to keep with them coming out of the corners and increase AI speed as you improve.