Difficulty difference between qualifying and race

I posted this on the codemasters forums earlier but realised I'll probably get a better response from like-minded people here.

I play career mode, currently with the AI difficulty at 90. I use setups from this website (designed for races... I always prioritise stability over one lap speed). In qualifying I find that level is generally absolutely perfect for my ability in terms of a realistic position based on my car and my performance in qualifying. However, to stay competitive in the race (even with a stable setup that's not particularly aggressive) I generally have to push myself far too hard to keep up with the AI (basically, as if I am putting down a qualifying lap), leading to big mistakes and much frustration. This is only doing 5 lap races. I am thinking about going to 25% races, and I don't know how I would manage if the AI maintained that kind of speed & consistency over more laps.

I know that it is all down to personal ability- higher skilled users are probably much more consistent overall. But has anyone else noticed this? And if you also change the AI difficulty between qualifying and the race, how much do you reduce it by? I'm trying to settle on a fair amount.

I'm hoping that other people say this is a thing in the game, because changing the difficulty between sessions feels like cheating!!!

Many thanks in advance

I have noticed this myself as well.  I feel like the AI level in Qualifying is below what it is in the race.  I have changed the level in some races.  I'm currently qualifying at 100 or 101 depending on the track, and sometimes I move the race AI to 95-97.  I try to use my team mate and closest matched competitors as a guide to keep myself honest.   My personal opinion is:  Play at AI levels that you feel challenged but not overwhelmed.  If you play AI levels that challenge you it will only help you improve.  Adjust the AI as the seasons go and as you see your abilities improve.  But most important, HAVE FUN, 'cause otherwise, what's the point in playing if you don't enjoy it.    

r2FsWlW.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, 4eyedCoupe said:

I have noticed this myself as well.  I feel like the AI level in Qualifying is below what it is in the race.  I have changed the level in some races.  I'm currently qualifying at 100 or 101 depending on the track, and sometimes I move the race AI to 95-97.  I try to use my team mate and closest matched competitors as a guide to keep myself honest.   My personal opinion is:  Play at AI levels that you feel challenged but not overwhelmed.  If you play AI levels that challenge you it will only help you improve.  Adjust the AI as the seasons go and as you see your abilities improve.  But most important, HAVE FUN, 'cause otherwise, what's the point in playing if you don't enjoy it.    

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I currently qualify at 90 ai and can usually blitz my teammate. But come the race, I'm usually all over the show! I think part of it is I'm inconsistent- I can put down good laps but I make too many mistakes. Whereas the AI mostly drive like robots.

Your spot on with advice about just enjoying it!

Ps. Are you still making / posting setups? There are probably a couple of tracks where I'd love to know what your running.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 4:13 AM, coxy said:

Ps. Are you still making / posting setups? There are probably a couple of tracks where I'd love to know what your running.

I haven't posted any in a while.  I fell behind a bit in posting but I still have several set-ups I never posted but don't mind sharing.  Shoot me a PM on any track you want to try a set-up on and I'll send you what I have.

r2FsWlW.jpg