Tyre Wear Challenges

Loving the game so far, but really struggling on the tyre wear challenge.

I'm on expert setting and can do the qualifying challenge, track familiarisation, even qualify too high up the grid for a Manor (usually 17th, but the next difficulty level i'm miles off the pace), but the tyre wear, I simple cannot get the time without destroying the tyres. Anyone any ideas? Try the lift and coast, but I'm then 2-3 seconds too slow.

I'm particularly struggling at Bahrain, must be turn 8 or 9? the sweeping left hander under braking before the second DRS zone. Not a clue how to do this

Anyone got any tips? Different settings? Try a different style?

On 24/8/2016 at 9:19 AM, lubomirvaic said:

Has anyone tried harder tyres for the challenge?  I did Russia with medium tyres and breezed through it compared to other tracks.  Not sure if it was the tyres or if that track just suited me better though.

I tried Canada on full wets which is I believe the hardest available and still the best I could manage was a green lap but two reds. In Russia I managed purple laps but not on the right time using Inters on damp racetrack. The time is also a thing to take into account.

10 hours ago, Merengues said:

I tried Canada on full wets which is I believe the hardest available and still the best I could manage was a green lap but two reds. In Russia I managed purple laps but not on the right time using Inters on damp racetrack. The time is also a thing to take into account.

Wets on a dry track?

image.png image.pngimage.pngimage.png

I also have troubles with this.

However, I managed to make 3 purple laps and in time in Bahrain with the following setting:

Team
Sauber

Weather
Dry

Format
PS4

Controller Type
Controller

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Aero: 11
Rear Wing Aero: 11

Transmission
Differential Adjustment On Throttle: 50%
Differential Adjustment Off throttle: 50%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber: -2.60
Rear Camber: -1.10
Front Toe: 0.08
Rear Toe: 0.41

Suspension
Font Suspension: 1
Rear Suspension: 1
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 1
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 1
Front Ride Height: 1
Rear Ride Height: 1

Brakes
Brake Pressure: 50%
Front Brake Bias: 62%

Tyres
Front Tyre Pressure: 22.2psi
Rear Tyre Pressure: 20.7psi

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 1

Fuel 9kg

The most Obvious thing is to not lock up, be a bit more gentle whilst breaking in general during the Programm. Other than that go easy on the throttle, especially in stretched corners. Try to roll throught corners so go off the throttle or just apply minimum pressure on it. Don't do quick steering moves.

If that doesn't help enought here is a section of a Video of Aarava doing one purple lap in Tyre management on ultimate. Watch what he is doing (and not doing for that matter) look at the bottom right at his throttle and break bar how he uses them. Maybe that helps as well.

I persevered for no reason other than my own stubbornness and managed to get purple in Russia. Long corners, where you feather the throttle, and can get the stick (PS4 Controller) in a nice position that isn't full lock see's the bar shoot up to purple.

The problem I have is that my thumbs aren't sensitive enough to not go to full lock when making quick turns, i go full and feel the slight vibration which means I'm just scrubbing the tyres. 

I think I need to be able to adjust the controller settings like I can in Dirt to soften them a little bit, I'm certain that it would help me. It certainly helped me to control the cars far better on Dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

with the PS4 controller i was able to (after many attempts) get 30 out of 50 resource points on about 40% of tracks. Have now got a thrustmaster t300rs wheel and its so much easier. Getting purple all the time because smooth steering into and out of corners is much gentler on the tyres. 

But if the PS4 controller is all you have, then you almost have to accept that some tracks its next to impossible to pass. Other tracks like the Canadian grand prix seem to have corners more suited to the tyre management.

I'm playing with a PS4 and D Pad on expert.  It took me a little while to get the hang of this challenge.  At first, I just used a harder compound.  To me, I think the key is brake hard for the corner.  Don't trail brake if possible.  Easy into the throttle coming off.  Don't go full throttle until you are at turn exit and straight as possible.  Seems to be, minimize doing 2 things at once.  Don't brake or accelerate too much while turning.  It's very hard at first.  Once you get it tho, you will notice an improvement in your race.

• 3 months later...

Well i Just found out that u can get alot "+"  when u dont stear to much..i mean control how sharp u turn. if u can try to just head straight even for few sec in a corner uget alot bonus. I managed to get from "Red buttom to fuld "Purple" in last Corner. 

Also some corner try to brake alot earlyier then where u should and then just without using acceleration trought the corner and find out when u can acc out of the corner in "STRAIGHT" way ....rather be abit slower but dont use ur normal "race Line" i do try in sharper turns to come from outside realy slow and then cut slowlig into the mid so i cross the Normal Path 

Green normal red me at very slow speed so break early and just let it role by it self and do not press pad or what u use to the edbe but hold it gently .....the less u steere the less is used on ur tires and that is the only thing important....for doing this u dont drive like in race or Qualifying so u cant use the data 

Michael-Schumacher-Corner-Bahrain-International-Circuit--350x350.jpg